Hundreds of companies were in Sturtevant on Tuesday to learn how they can get in on the Foxconn project.
Construction managers said they will be breaking ground on phase one of the Foxconn plant either this month or in May. Next is what the state calls the beginning of the ripple effect.
Around 500 construction-related businessmen and women who filled an event ballroom come from a variety of specialties, but they were all in attendance for the same reason.
"To see what I can do for them and what they can do for me," said Casbro Recycling Vice President Martin Castro.
Castro co-owns a small electronics recycling company in South Milwaukee. He’s trying to get in with Foxconn on the ground floor.
"We pick up the equipment they do not want, they have a hard time to get rid of them," he said.
Larger companies such as Associated Technical Services in West Allis are hoping to install security features at Foxconn’s $10 billion plant.
"Card readers, thumb ID readers, any kind of access to lock down the system," said employee Andrea Savoie.
Foxconn and its Milwaukee-based building company are looking for suppliers, vendors and sub-contractors. None have been hired yet, but that will be changing soon. Over a 5-year process, 11,000 construction workers will be needed to build the facility and another 6,000 indirect jobs will be created for services and goods to fill it.
"We have to honor our home community, my home community," said Adam Jelen with Gilbane Building Company.
Jelen said that’s done by making sure local businesses know of opportunities first and the requirements to meet them. Tuesday's informational meeting in Sturtevant was just the first of a dozen to take place across the state this month. Upcoming events can be found below.
- Wednesday, April 4: University of Wisconsin-Platteville - Harry & Laura Nohr Gallery, 1 University Plaza. Co-hosted by Prosperity Southwest.
- Friday, April 6: Liberty Hall Banquet and Conference Center, 800 Eisenhower Drive, Kimberly. Co-hosted by The New North.
- Thursday, April 12: Superior Government Center, 1316 N. 14th St., Superior. Cohosted by Visions Northwest.
- Monday, April 16: Chippewa Valley Technical College - Energy Education Center, 4000 Campus Road, Eau Claire. Co-hosted by Momentum West.
- Tuesday, April 17. La Crosse Area Chamber Foundation, 601 7th St. N, La Crosse. Cohosted by 7 Rivers Alliance.