MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Former Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke is joining a political action committee that supports President Donald Trump.
Clarke announced in an email Tuesday that he will serve as spokesman and senior adviser for America First Action. He says the PAC serves to elect Republican candidates who support Trump and that he will "see to it that the will of the American people is not derailed by the left or self-serving Washington establishment."
Clarke announced his resignation from the sheriff's office on Thursday. You can read his resignation letter here.
The firebrand sheriff is one of Trump's most vocal supporters on television and social media and was among the few black officials to speak in support of his candidacy during the GOP's convention last summer.
He's built a following among conservative with a brash personality and provocative social-media presence.
MORE Sheriff Clarke Coverage:
- PHOTOS: Sheriff Clarke's Feuds Through The Years
- Clarke: Trump Does Not Have A Racist Bone In His Body
- Sheriff Clarke's Jail And Its Year Of Constant Controversy
- Sheriff Withdraws Name From Consideration For DHS Post
- Man Says Clarke Harassed Him After Flight From Dallas
- Rep. Crowley Calls On Governor Walker To Remove Clarke
- Clarke Waves Off FBI Director Rumors