MADISON--Five Wisconsin students have been 2018 Presidential Scholars, and all but one of them are from the greater Milwaukee area, according to a news release from the Department of Public Instruction.
"The Presidential Scholars award is one of the highest honors given to high school graduates," State Superintendent Tony Evers said. "Congratulations to these students and thank you to the teachers and families who supported their success."
According to the release, the 2018 U.S. Presidential Scholars are made up of one young woman and man from each state, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, and from U.S. families living abroad. 15 more are chosen at large, 20 more are recognized with U.S. Presidential Scholars in the Arts, and 20 more U.S. presidential scholars in Career and Technical Education.
The Wisconsin students are:
- Charles X Hua, Middleton, West High School, Madison
- Xavier Lightfoot, Milwaukee, Pius XI Catholic High School, Milwaukee
- Julian Rhee, Brookfield, Brookfield East High School
- Nabeel J Quryshi, Mequon, University School of Milwaukee
- Sophia F. Sun, Brookfield, Brookfield Central High School
Each student named a teacher who influenced them the most throughout their studies.