Electrical fire causes evacuation at Wauwatosa church

Fire breaks out during Sunday morning service
Posted at 8:23 PM, Jun 26, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-26 21:23:45-04

A fire interrupted services at a Wauwatosa church Sunday morning.  

The electrical fire prompted an evacuation at St. John's Evangelical Lutheran. Needless to say, congregation members didn't plan to spend their morning outside of church. 

"No, but God has a reason for everything," congregation member Mary Groth said.

Despite the evacuation Paster Joel Leyrer said there’s still plenty to be thankful for. 

"If it was going to happen it happened at the right time as far as getting people in and out," Leyrer said.

No one was hurt in the fire.  Two ushers were able to get to the flames first.

"They got the fire extinguishers. They doused the electrical panel and they called the fire department," Leyrer said.

Officials with the Wauwatosa Fire Department said the flames started in the electrical circuit box.

"The whole church itself was just very smoky.  You couldn't even see to the altar," Goth said.

The church needs electrical repairs and a deep cleaning.  Pastor Leyrer held a second service across the street in the school gym.