NewsLocal News


Dehumidifier causes house fire in Washington County

Homeowner found dehumidifier on fire in basement
Posted at 1:59 PM, Nov 14, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-14 15:01:03-05

WASHINGTON COUNTY, Wis. -- A dehumidifier is being blamed as the cause of another fire in a Wisconsin home this week.

On Monday, Sheriffs' deputies and firefighters were called to a Town of Wayne home for a fire. The firefighters quickly located and extinguished the small fire in the basement, leaving the residence with approximately $15,000 in smoke damage, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Office. 

The homeowner told her authorities she unplugged her dehumidifier after hearing strange noises from it. She later found it on fire and called 911. There were no reports of injuries. 

Several dehumidifiers have been recalled in recent years due overheating, smoking, fires and serious burn hazards. You can find a list of recalled dehumidifiers here