MILWAUKEE -- The Wisconsin Department of Transportation is giving travelers the heads up on all construction occurring this Labor Day weekend.
According to a release, the WisDOT will temporarily halt work on most highway projects around the state. However, drivers are asked to be alert for work zones, lane restrictions and potential delays.
In addition, state and local law enforcement agencies across Wisconsin will be working in greater numbers for longer hours watching for impaired drivers as part of the “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” campaign that continues through Labor Day.
Here is the official list from the WisDOT of highway construction projects that may affect holiday travel:
- Milwaukee County: adjoining projects around the Zoo Interchange continue with ongoing work on the west leg auxiliary lanes and Sunnyslope Road Bridge, the WIS 100 bridge over the Hank Aaron State Trail, and the I-894 resurfacing project. The additional southbound lane is expected to open in September.
- I-94 in Kenosha and Racine counties has impacts from the I-94 North-South project and local work due to the Foxconn development. Traffic currently has two travel lanes in both directions with multiple ramp closures required to construct multiple structures in a very short time frame. Potential delays are anticipated as more motorists travel through the corridor during the holiday weekend.
- Milwaukee County: The WIS 100 project in Hales Corners currently has Janesville Road and Forest Home Avenue closed from WIS 100 to the east where the roads meet. Traffic is detoured via Layton Avenue, 84th Street and Forest Home Avenue.
- Walworth County: WIS 67 is closed to through traffic between Williams Bay and Elkhorn near Lake Geneva. A detour route is posted along I-43 and WIS 50.
- Walworth County: WIS 120 near Lake Geneva is closed from Madaus Road to Como Creek for bridge replacement work. Motorists are being detoured along WIS 11, I-43 and US 12.
- Dane and Rock counties: motorists on I-39/90 should be alert for lane shifts, crossovers and reduced speeds.
- Dane County: Verona Road (US 18/151): motorists should be alert for lane shifts and reduced speeds.
- Winnebago County: WIS 116 in the village of Omro and the village of Winneconne is closed and detoured. The Omro detour route includes WIS 21 to I-41 to US 45. The Winneconne detour route includes US 45 to US 41 to WIS 21.
- Winnebago, Calumet and Outagamie counties: Eastbound and westbound US 10 have reduced lanes and lane shifts with a 55-mph speed reduction throughout the WIS 441 work zone.
- Brown County: Northbound and southbound lanes of US 41/US 141 at the County B interchange in the village of Suamico have reduced speeds (55 mph) and lane shift.
- Oneida and Vilas counties: US 51/WIS 47 Woodruff/Arbor Vitae is reduced to one lane in each direction with a 12-foot width restriction.
- Shawano County: WIS 29 in eastern Shawano County is reduced to a single lane for each direction, running counter-directional on the eastbound lanes, between Highline Road and County C, with an 11-foot width restriction.
- Shawano County: US 45 is reduced to a single lane using temporary traffic signals and a 13-foot width restriction for a bridge replacement near Tigerton.
- Menominee County: WIS 47 is reduced to one lane in each direction with a 12-foot width restriction in Keshena.
- Wood County: WIS 13 south of Wisconsin Rapids between WIS 73 and County Z is reduced to one lane in each direction.
- Dunn County: US 12 (Broadway Street) bridge in Menomonee - all traffic will be single lane on the westbound structure.
- St. Croix County: I-94 (WIS 35 - US 12) in Hudson will have nighttime single and double lane closures. Various ramps will be closed with signed detours.
- Barron County: WIS 48 through Rice Lake – bi-directional traffic on eastbound lanes, westbound lanes closed. The Knapp and Hammond intersection will be closed.
- Douglas County: US 2/Belknap Street in Superior will have single lane closures between Hill Avenue and Ogden Avenue. A signed truck detour and alternate route are available.
- Bayfield County: US 2 bridge in Iron River – reduced speeds over bridge.
- Chippewa County: WIS 124 near the town of Eagle Point is closed for bridge construction. Detour route includes County S, US 53 and WIS 64.
- Chippewa County: WIS 124 NB (Rushman Drive) will be a single lane of traffic from Bridge Street to Elm Street.