Four 13 year olds arrested in police chase

Posted at 12:08 PM, Jan 15, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-15 18:22:31-05

Authorities say four 13-year-old boys led Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Department deputies on a 15-mile chase through the city Friday, ending in a crash on the northwest side.

It all started at about 10:30 a.m., when a deputy spotted a stolen 1996 Bonneville near 14th and Burnham that was wanted in connection with a strong arm robbery earlier in the morning. Police say several people were severely beaten during the robbery. 

A 30-minute high-speed chase ensued, with the suspects eventually crashing the vehicle in a Walmart parking lot near 107th and Silver Spring on the northwest side.

A police cruiser boxed the car using a "pit" maneuver, causing it to spin out and crash into the crowded parking lot filled with shoppers.

“This could’ve went a totally whole opposite different direction. I mean these kids could’ve been killed," said an eyewitness who didn't want to be identified.

Four suspects, believed to be teens, were arrested at the scene after a short foot chase.

TODAY's TMJ4 spoke with a woman waiting patiently at the scene for news of her 13-year-old son who she says was in the car.

“As a mother, where’s your heart at right now as you look at all this? With Jesus. That’s the only place I can go is to Jesus,” the mother said.

The suspects reportedly drove down the wrong way on some city streets blowing throught stop signs and nearly hit a pedestrian during the chase.

The owner of the stolen Bonneville told police it was stolen from 37th and Silver Spring around 8:30 am as his friend was warming it up.

At 10 am, police say the Bonneville was involved in a strong armed robery near 16th and Lincoln before it was spotted by the deputy.

“It was very scary . I mean I never seen a chase go that close and you know, with traffic and pedestrians walking by. I mean anyone could’ve been hurt," eyewitness Chris Hibben said.

Hibben turned on his police scanner to see what was going on.

“Numerous times I heard that they were doing between 60 to 80 mph. The top speed that I did hear was 85mph," Hibben said.

The suspects will face felony charges of fleeing and recklessly endangering safety.