MILWAUKEE — Over 11,000 people gathered on Wisconsin Avenue Saturday morning for the 42nd Annual Briggs & Al's Run & Walk, raising nearly $1 million dollars for Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
"The image of thousands of people running and walking down Wisconsin Avenue in support of Briggs & Al’s Run & Walk will never cease to amaze me. There is no greater symbol of the community’s support for our kids,” said Peggy Troy, President and CEO of Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.
One hundred percent of proceeds from Saturday's event support Children's Hospital's research, advocacy, care and education efforts throughout the state.
The 8k run and wheelchair route, and 3- or 5-mile walk was started by Marquette University's men's basketball coach Al McGuire in 1978. The run and walk has brought thousands of supporters to downtown Milwaukee and raised over $22 million dollars in its 42 years.
“Briggs & Stratton has always had a strong commitment to the health of our community and our support of Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin is a key part of that," said Todd Teske, chairman, president and CEO of Briggs & Stratton. "We are continually amazed by the incredible support of all our employees who run, walk and donate to help keep Wisconsin’s kids healthy."
“Briggs & Stratton is extremely proud to be the title sponsor of Briggs & Al’s Run & Walk and we want to congratulate everyone involved in these 42 amazing years."
Briggs & Al’s Run & Walk is a USA Track & Field-certified 8k course, attracting elite runners and wheelchair athletes from throughout the region.
2019 Briggs & Al’s Run Results
1. Erik Duethman (#50) – 25 minutes, 33.8 seconds
2. Michael Quesnell (#24) – 25:33.9
3. Jered Sweeney-Demeza (#23) – 27:00.1
1. Shaelyn Sorenson (#5) – 26 minutes, 43.3 seconds
2. Andie Shine (#3) – 27:22.4
3. Mary Hanson (#1) – 28.44.5
Push Rim Wheelchair
1. Steven Smith (#2136) – 21 minutes, 37.4 seconds
2. Ethan Burkhart (#2039) – 23:50.1
3. Juan Rodarte (#2040) – 26:40.1
Hand Cycle Wheelchair
1. John Havpt (#1771) – 18 minutes, 11.1 seconds
2. Todd Siewart (#2042) – 18:11.9