Austin Fire Department: Spontaneous combustion of...tortilla chips

Tortilla chips, best paired with a spicy salsa or a hot cheese, you can't go wrong with this pantry essential. Unless, of course, they spontaneously burst into flames. 

That's what happened at a tortilla chip warehouse in Austin, Tex. earlier this week.

In fact, the Austin Fire Department was called to the location twice due to the chips starting on fire.

It turns out that the factory was trying out a new way to handle waste from the chips when the fires starting popping up.

Firefighters were called to the scene to put out fires on pallets and cardboard boxes that were full of the food waste. Three days later they were called back when there was more spontaneous combustion of chips. 

Firefighters then drowned all of the crates that had not yet set fire to eliminate the risk completely. 

There were no damages in either case, except to all of the innocent corn chips that lost their lives and their potential to ever carry Mexican sauces. May they rest in peace. 

Print this article Back to Top