MILWAUKEE — Residents were evacuated after a gas leak in the basement of the Milwood Apartments on Friday afternoon, but they were scheduled to return soon.
Shorewood residents smelled an odor of gas outside. The wind was blowing the smell into Shorewood even though the apartment building is technically in Milwaukee.
Shorewood Police were the first to respond, but Milwaukee Police responded, too.
Here is a statement from We Energies:
"Our crews have been cleared from the scene of the gas odor in Shorewood.
"We’re told it was an issue with some equipment in the building, not We Energies related."
Check back throughout the day for updates to this story.