MILWAUKEE — If you have family coming to Milwaukee this weekend to usher in the new year, be sure to check out these events, courtesy of Lindsey McKee, a communications manager for Visit Milwaukee.
- The Milwaukee Public Museum, 800 W. Wells St., will have special programming through New Year’s Eve. Holidays in History tours are available through Saturday. There will be educators on all museum floors for discussion and activities. The Streets of Old Milwaukee and European Village exhibits will remain decorated for the holidays through January.
- The Milwaukee County Zoo, 10001 W. Bluemound Road, is offering free admission through New Year’s Day. Bring the family to see penguins, polar bears, otters and other animals.
- A New Year’s Eve Family Celebration at the Domes, 524 S. Layton Blvd., is planned, featuring a 9 p.m. balloon drop to ring in the new year. The event will have music, fire dancing, a magic act and light shows. There will be face painting and balloon twisting for children.
- The Potawatomi Hotel & Casino, 1721 W. Canal St., “will ring in 2019 like never before” with dining, gaming and entertainment.
- The 32nd annual Cool Fool Kite & Ice Festival at Veterans Park, presented by the Gift of Wings Kite Store, is a free event on New Year's Day at 1010 N. Lincoln Memorial Drive and includes hot cocoa, coffee and snacks (while supplies last). It begins before the annual Polar Bear Plunge into Lake Michigan.