The U.S. Food and Drug Administration sent out a safety alert Friday to parents about feeding honey to children young than one year old.
This warning includes pacifiers dipped in honey.
The safety alert comes after four infants in Texas were hospitalized with botulism after using pacifiers containing honey. The FDA describes botulism as a rare but serious illness caused by a toxin that attacks the body’s nerves and causes difficulty breathing, muscle paralysis, and even death.
#REMINDER ⚠️Do NOT give children 👶 less than 1 yr old #honey .
FDA has rec'd reports from the state of Texas @TexasDSHS - 4 infants have been hospitalized w/ #botulism . All 4 had used #pacifiers containing honey from Mexico & available thru US retailers. https://t.co/e9hj78bzgm pic.twitter.com/mvUicbGlJY
— FDA FOOD (@FDAfood) November 16, 2018