MILWAUKEE -- Drivers will face some challenges beginning Monday in downtown Milwaukee. Construction begins on the Kilbourn Avenue Tunnels.
One tunnel will be closed at a time to help minimize the impact to motorists.
- The North Tunnel, the I-43 entrance ramp from Kilbourn Ave., will be fully closed until June.
- The South Tunnel, from I-43 north to Kilbourn Ave., will be closed from June to October.
Posted signs will direct drivers to use the Fond du Lac/McKinley I-43 entrance/exit and North 6th Street.
Construction work will address leaks and replacing portions of the tunnel ceiling.
The work will also impact access to;
- the pedestrian ramp from MacArthur Square Plaza
- the parking garage stair from North James Lovell Street
- sidewalk on North 9th Street from West State Street to West Wells Street.