Call 4 Action: How to resolve errors on your background checks

Posted at 5:14 PM, Aug 03, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-04 09:54:09-04

WISCONSIN — If you are applying for a job, an apartment, or a loan, chances are, someone will be checking your background. But, before you apply, you may want to do your own background check and take these actions to correct errors.

There are a number of reputable, background checking companies that will allow you to obtain a report on yourself for a fee. This can be helpful for checking out multiple records in one report. If you spot an error, file a dispute in writing as soon as possible, explaining the error and ask for this to be corrected. If the reporting company cannot verify the information, they are required to remove this information from your report in a timely manner.

You can also obtain a free copy of your credit report every year by going to Annual Credit When you get the report, read it carefully. If you notice an error, file a dispute in writing with the reporting agency, explaining why you do not owe the debt and requesting that the information be removed. The Federal Trade Commission has more information on their website about your rights and procedures for disputing these types of errors.

You might also want to check county, state, and federal court websites that contain criminal, civil, and traffic court records. If you notice an error, contact the clerk of courts for assistance in getting these corrected.

Keep in mind, a lot of background checks also contain information that can be found on search engines and social media. You may want to search these sites as well to get a better idea of what a potential employer may see.

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip