How to get help with landlord-tenant issues

Posted at 12:39 PM, Sep 19, 2020
and last updated 2020-09-19 13:40:00-04

WISCONSIN — Landlord/tenant issues top the list of all consumer complaints received by our Call 4 Action office.

There are a number of things that can create a problem - everything from repair issues to not being unable to afford the rent. But, before things get out of hand, here are a few things that you can do to get help:

Most important, when a problem arises, do not wait to take action. Let your landlord know both verbally and in writing, and follow through to work out a plan.

If it is a repair, rodent, or another infestation issue, try to be as detailed as possible describing the problem, when it started, what measures you may have taken, and what you would like the landlord to do.

If the issue involves a concern about paying rent, talk to your landlord about your situation, explain what you are doing to resolve the issue, and ask for their help in negotiating a resolution. Depending on your circumstances, the landlord may forego a rent increase, be willing to allow a partial payment or work with you on a plan to catch up on past due rent.

Many landlords are good about making repairs in a timely manner, and working with tenants who are experiencing financial issues. But, if you cannot get your landlord to work with you, there are resources that you can utilize to get help.

The Tenant Resource Center and Community Advocateshave a lot of information on their websites about how to deal with landlord-tenant issues, as well as referrals and mediation.

Community Advocates also has some programs to help those who are experiencing temporary problems with paying rent.

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip