If you are in the process of making holiday travel plans, watch out. If you are not careful, you could get taken by bogus travel companies, or get stuck with a reservation that cannot be changed or canceled.
Here are a few tips to help you get the best deals without getting taken:
- Make sure to book flights and hotels early. Prices go up as you get closer to a holiday, and availability may become scarce.
- Check into money saving options, such as adjusting travel for dates that are less popular, and using discounts that may be offered from motor clubs like AAA .
- Use extreme caution when clicking on booking sites. Unfortunately, scammers have gotten very good at creating fake sites that could scam you out of money and leave you stranded.
- Watch out for deals that seem too good to be true. Before you finalize a reservation, verify price and details by contacting the airline or hotel directly at a number that you know is legitimate. Do not simply trust a phone number or e-mail that is listed in an ad.
- Read the terms and conditions of booking travel. Many of the better deals will not allow any changes or cancellations.
- Pay with a credit card. Many of these cards offer concierge service and may offer the option of contesting a charge if necessary. And,
- Consider purchasing comprehensive travel insurance. This can come in handy if flights get cancelled or delayed, you or a family member becomes ill or injured before or during your trip, or your luggage gets lost.