Las Vegas man badly injured after e-cig battery explodes

Man planning to file lawsuit

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -
A Las Vegas man is planning a lawsuit against the manufacturer of an e-cigarette battery after he says one exploded in his pocket.
 
Daniel King provided pictures of the third degree burns to his leg he claims he suffered Feb. 8.
 
"My leg was burning for at least a week straight," King said.
  • Aaron Rodgers' Brother Jordan To Compete On Next Season Of "The Bachelorette"
  • King says he was finishing up notes in his car right before the explosion.
     
    "The next thing I know, I hear this loud air releasing noise and the next thing I know, there is fire coming out of my pockets," King said.
     
    King said he had the battery for his vaping device in his left pocket when it exploded, burning his leg and pants.
  • Sheboygan Company Ranked Second Best Place to Work
  • He spent three days in the hospital, and says a month later he still cannot sleep on his left side.
     
    "On a scale of one to ten like the doctors were asking me how much was my pain. My pain was probably a nine or ten," King said.
     
    Now, King is getting ready to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the battery.
     
    His attorneys say the batteries used in the vaping devices are often dangerous and it is a problem the companies know about.
  • WATCH: E-cigarette Explodes In Man's Pocket
  • "What we are learning is, at an alarming rate, these batteries, these lithium ion batteries that are used in these devices are catching fire and exploding," said Dennis Prince with Eglet Prince.
     
    The attorneys working with King say there are several problems that contributed to his injuries, including the fact that the batteries are sold without packaging, warning labels or instructions.
     
    Attorneys say users should be warned the rechargeable batteries can explode in everyday situations.
     
    “Once this coating starts to peel away, and metal comes into contact with it. That's when it becomes dangerous.  That's when it has the potential to explode," Prince said.
     
    Another attorney on the case says things need to change in the way the lithium ion batteries are made.
     
    "If a single particle of dust gets in the coil while they are coiling it, that is what causes it to short circuit and makes it susceptible to explosions," said Jessica Goodey with Becker Goodey.
     
    The lawsuit is expected to be filed in the coming days.
     
    Along with compensation for King’s injuries the attorneys say they are hopeful the case will force manufacturers to make better products that are safer for the users.
     
    "Overall I think they need to develop a safer product," Goodey said.
     
    Print this article Back to Top